Friday, August 20, 2010

How to run Teenpup on a really old computer

So I wanted to run Teenpup2010mini on a 500MHz PIII with 192MBs of RAM and about 4GBs of storage on a second partition.  I wanted to use Amarok to manage and play FLACs over wifi from my music server.  Internet streams would be nice, too.

Lucid Puppy was my first choice, but I couldn't get Amarok to work with a "frugal" install.  Teenpup comes with Amarok pre-installed so I went with that.

I used the LuPu to mount and extract the Teenpup .sfs to its home on the second partition -- after converting it to the proper squash file format with the included utility.

I put the vmlinuz file in the first partition, since my grub can't access stuff on other partitions.  One Grub menu entry boots into a root on the second partition. [I'll have to copy the grub entry here...]

Thanks to the excellent Puppy developers and folks at murga-linux!  It works flawlessly, so far.  Now I have a dependable, lossless, wireless music manager & client for my stereo.

No comments:

Post a Comment