Friday, March 12, 2010

Google MyTracks

I tried out the Google GPS tracking software, MyTracks, and it worked flawlessly right out of the box.

Here is the first track.

I did the Smelly Cat Circuit, since it turned out to be an OK day today.  I stopped off at the Common Market on the way back, which is the waypoint marker.  Google's My Maps even shows the statistics, if you click on the "end" marker link.  If you check out the altitude, you can see why they call it "Uptown".  I guess before cars, people had to haul stuff up-to-town.

The best new feature that Google brings, I feel, is the ability to automatically save it to Google Docs, where it throws your stats into a spreadsheet so you can compare them.


Update:  Here's a picture from North East of the city (looking South West).  That's one of my favourite parts of this ride -- actually riding up to the city, rolling underneath the skyscrapers, and then seeing it fade into the distance.  Here is the spreadsheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment